Flower Basket Cake

30 May

Flower Basket Cake | Korena in the KitchenI don’t have a step-by-step recipe post for you today, but I wanted to share this anyway. I just finished taking Wilton’s Flowers and Cake Design cake decorating course, and this was my final cake. I am pretty darn pleased with how it came out!

Flower Basket Cake | Korena in the Kitchen

In the course, we learned how to make apple blossoms, primroses, violets, daffodils, roses, rosebuds, and (really ugly) lilies out of royal icing (we also made really basic gum paste flowers, which were not my favorite). The royal icing makes the flowers dry out as hard as rock – which is great because they are pretty durable, but not-so-great because while they are technically edible, they’re not really meant to be eaten. If I’m going to go to this much trouble to decorate a cake, I want the entire thing to be delicious and edible, so I’m looking forward to trying these flowers in Swiss meringue buttercream rather than royal icing. I did have a lot of fun piping the flowers though, and made about a million extras with all the leftover icing.

Flower Basket Cake | Korena in the Kitchen

Both daffodils and basketweave are things I’ve wanted to try for a while now, so I’m glad I took the course for those. I’m not sure I’d take another Wilton course though – in all honesty, I could have easily learned all of these things on my own from watching a YouTube video or just reading the course booklet, which you can buy for five dollars.

Flower Basket Cake | Korena in the Kitchen

However, actually taking the course forced me to not only buy all the tools I’d need, but also to actually try the techniques. If you learn best by having someone teach you face to face, then the course is probably the way to go – but I tend to be able to teach myself stuff like this fairly effectively. If I get the urge to take another course, I might look at what Craftsy has to offer instead.

Flower Basket Cake | Korena in the Kitchen

Underneath all the decoration, there was an eight-inch vanilla layer cake covered with cream cheese frosting and filled with lightly sweetened strawberry-applesauce (which is my new favorite thing). It was a really delicious combination – I took the cake to work and everyone loved it. Just a hint: the way to your co-workers hearts is definitely through their stomachs!

Flower Basket Cake | Korena in the Kitchen

16 Responses to “Flower Basket Cake”

1. wendyjv May 30, 2014 at 6:49 am #

Those flowers are amazing! I couldn’t believe it when I saw them in person! And the basket weave is pretty impressive. Great job!

2. cheri May 30, 2014 at 7:50 am #

What an amazing cake, you are a very talented baker!

3. bakingwithsibella.com May 30, 2014 at 8:20 am #

Korena, the cake is BEAUTIFUL, a real work of art! WOW! :)

4. rise of the sourdough preacher May 30, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Korena this cake is simply gorgeous!
    I adore the basketweave motif, and the flowers…so delicate and beautifully arranged.
    A masterpiece.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Lou

5. matchamochimoo May 30, 2014 at 11:25 am #

It looks amazing, are they (flowers) all buttercream ?

• Korena in the Kitchen May 30, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Nope, the flowers are royal icing. I want to try them in buttercream next though!

6. Joanne T Ferguson May 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

G’day! You are oh so incredibly talented Korena, but don’t nee me to tell you what you already know, true!
    You cake and photo brightened my day! GREAT job! Thank you!

7. Kathryn and Ross May 30, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

Those little daffodil cups are exquisite! Well done on the basket weave too. I think you have to be a perfectionist to be a good cake decorator and really detail oriented. Obviously you must be both, great job!

8. frugalfeeding May 31, 2014 at 10:36 am #

You are fantastically talented – that cake is truly exceptional, particularly the decoration. I like it because it’s relatively simple (though, I’d imagine very difficult to do). Are those daffodils? I like daffodils?

• Korena in the Kitchen May 31, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

It wasn’t as difficult as you might imagine actually! And yes, those are daffodils – I like daffodils, too :)

9. Dikla June 1, 2014 at 2:13 am #

this is a gorgeous cake, and i love your blog ! many great ideas and inspiration for me. thank you !

10. Cecilia June 1, 2014 at 6:15 am #

I agree: the daffodils are wonderful and so sweet!

11. Bam's Kitchen June 1, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

You are a pro!!! Just amazing this cake!

12. Bread & Companatico June 15, 2014 at 4:56 am #

insane!!!
    I have never seen such a beautiful cake live, that would make any bride happy!
    wouldn’t it be perfect for a wedding?
    anyway, you are incredibly gifted, I am in awe…

13. Cici June 23, 2014 at 7:32 am #

How beautiful!! Great work!