Cake for 60

My friend’s wedding is coming up this weekend, so the cakes were baked last week and are happily camping in the freezer, wrapped in plastic and tinfoil, awaiting transport to Vancouver in a few days. Baking the cakes was something I was a little worried about, despite the relative success of the trial run – would they bake evenly, would I have enough batter, would they taste good enough? Turns out all my fears were totally unfounded: the cakes turned out perfectly. They baked in flat, even layers (thanks so the wet towel/cake diaper trick) and they all baked in exactly 50 minutes, no matter which pan size. Even the big 10-inch baked evenly all the way to the middle without a heating core or anything.Remember the confidence I had in my math skillz when I calculated how much batter I would need and how I would need to scale the recipe? I was fairly sure that I would end up with just shy of the right amount of batter, but I got that part totally wrong: I ended up with about 2 cups of extra batter, which is definitely better than 2 cups too little! This meant that I got to use the extra batter to make these sweet little shell-cakes:I made one-and-a half times the recipe below and ended up with about 16 1/2 cups of batter, enough for two 10-inch, two 8-inch, and two 6-inch rounds, each 1 1/2 inches high when baked, plus a bunch of little shell cakes 😉 I mixed the batter in three batches (a half recipe each), then mixed them all together in one big bowl to make sure the batter was uniform. Some of the batter sat for quite a while because I could only bake two cakes at once, and I was concerned that the baking powder and baking soda would lose their leavening power before they hit the oven, but it didn’t seem to make any difference :) Success!

Update: here’s my tutorial for how to frost and assemble the wedding cake from start to finish.

Lemon Butter Cake

Adapted from Cakewalk by Margaret Braun

This cake is delicious and lemon-y and has a texture similar to pound cake. The yield is for two 10-inch round cakes (about 4 1/4 cups of batter each), but I found I could use less batter per cake, as follows:

6-inch round: 1 1/4 cups

8-inch round: 2 1/4 cups

10-inch round: 3 2/3 cups

Preheat oven to 325˚F. Butter and flour your cake pans, and line the bottoms with parchment paper (*see note at bottom).Sift together the dry ingredients:

5 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

In a mixer bowl, cream together:

2 cups unsalted butter, softened

4 cups granulated sugar

Beat until light and fluffy, then add:

6 large eggs

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. When the eggs are incorporated, stir in:

2 tsp vanilla extract

grated zest of 4 lemons

juice of 1 lemon

Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternately with:

2 cups sour cream

(Start and end with the sour cream – sour cream in four additions, dry ingredients in three additions.)

Scrape the bottom of the bowl periodically and stir until just mixed.Pour the batter into the prepared pans and spread it level. Whack the bottom of the pan against the counter a few times to release any large air bubbles in the batter. Wrap the outside of each cake pan with a strip of wet towel.Bake at 325˚F for 50 minutes, turning the pans half way through baking time, until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the centre of each cake comes out clean.Let the cakes cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan, otherwise the cake will stick and you’ll end up leaving chunks behind in the pan. Peel off the parchment paper from the bottom and let the cakes cool completely on a wire rack before decorating or freezing.To freeze, wrap each cake individually in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil to seal out the air completely. Should keep for up to 1 month in the freezer if properly wrapped. Allow to thaw before decorating.

*To cut a perfectly-sized round of parchment paper for the bottom of your pan: (sorry for the terrible pictures – bad lighting!)

Fold your parchment paper in half then in half again to form a square.Fold the square in half on the diagonal…then fold again to form a point.Turn your cake pan over and place the point of the parchment paper in the middle of the pan. Mark the edge of the pan, and cut the parchment paper.Unfold and you have the perfect circle for the bottom of your pan :)

Comments

1. Wendy says

Mmmm, very impressive. I wish I could be at the wedding so I could have a taste! I can’t wait to see the finished product!

• Korena in the Kitchen says

talia asked: “hello sorry but i didn´t understand how many times i have to make the recipe to achieve el 6 pans :( can u please explain me :)”

Sorry Talia, your comment got lost as I was making some changes to the blog, so I hope you check back to see this answer! I made the recipe 1.5 times to make the 6 cakes (2 x 6″ round, 2 x 8″ round, 2 x 10″ round).

• stacy says

I’m sorry, but the stupid tradition of smashing wedding cake in each others faces is just beyond childish! Be classy!!!! Don’t do it!

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Ehhh, to each their own, especially on your wedding day! But I’d vote no smashing because I wouldn’t want to waste the cake 😉

• says

@Stacy, I definitely agree with you. A wedding should be an elegant, classy event, and not act the way kids would in a school cafeteria. I’ve always thought smashing cake into the bride or groom’s face is just tacky and shows no class. I’ve been making wedding cakes for four decades, and would hate to think of one of my cakes being remembered for being smashed in someone’s face.

2. Sierra Kathleen says

This cake looks absolutely wonderful, just what I was looking for! I’m getting married in June, and my fiance & I decided on a lemon pound cake sort of cake to serve with strawberries and whipped cream :)

• Korena in the Kitchen says

That’s a good question. I’ve only ever used it on cakes that have a tendency to dome in the middle, ie: the outside edges bake faster than the center and it rises up. I don’t think it would hurt on a sponge type cake – it would just encourage more even baking.

3. Eryn says

Hi Koreana,
    How do you keep your cakes from sweating when thawing? That is the biggest reason I avoid freezing! Thanks!!

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Hi Eryn, I’ve never really noticed it being a problem. If there’s ever any moisture on the tops of my cakes, I just dab it off with a paper towel 😉 However if you thawed the cakes overnight in the fridge, they would thaw more slowly and re-absorb any moisture that might otherwise turn into “sweat”.

4. Brittney Schwaget says

Hi I am wondering if you would need to measure out the ingredients first for three batches or do one at a time? Thanks! I have been baking for a while and I am looking for this in my future :)

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Hi Brittney, I made 3 x half batches of the recipe as written to make the cakes pictured (which gave me a total of 1.5 x the recipe as written), and did each half batch one at a time. Does that make sense?

5. EmilyC says

If I wanted to do vanilla cake instead of lemon, would I just take the lemon components out and add vanilla?

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Yes, exactly – the recipe already includes 2 tsp vanilla, so just omit the lemon zest and juice. You could add the seeds scraped from a vanilla bean if you wanted it to be really vanilla-y.

6. Brittney Schwager says

Hi, could you just add vanilla and almond extract or do you only have to add vanilla? Also do you have any recommendations for frosting great frosting recipes? Thanks!

7. EmilyC says

Ok. Question! lol. Does the recipe make enough batter for the 2 layers of each size? So about 14 cups of batter?

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Hi Emily – to make enough batter for 2 layers of each cake (6″, 8″ and 10″ rounds) I made 1.5 times the recipe as written (in 3 half batches to fit in my mixer better). I used the amounts of batter per cake pan that I describe in the notes before the recipe. Hope that helps!

8. Angela says

Omg. This was the best looking cake. We have decided this lemon cake is our all time favorite. Thanks for putting the receipt and pics on line. Yum.

9. Carlene Danielek says

Korena…where did you get the adorable she’ll mini cake pans??? So cute and I will be making a wedding cake for an oceanside wedding…would love to make these!!!

• roxana says

Hi, korene, your cake is amazing, But i have a question,could i substitute the sourcream For buttermilk? Thank you

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Hi Roxana, I just did some Google research on buttermilk vs sour cream, and I wouldn’t recommend the substitution – sour cream and buttermilk have very different fat contents (buttermilk has almost no fat in in, whereas sour cream has lots) so substituting one for the other could alter the cake quite a lot. If you want to use buttermilk I’d suggest finding a pound cake recipe that is formulated specifically with buttermilk instead :)

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Hi Janelle, I guess you couldn’t completely rule out the possibility of the towel catching fire, but I’ve been doing the wet towel trick for several years now and it’s never happened to me. As long as the oven temperature isn’t super hot (and it shouldn’t be, for a cake) and the towels wraps don’t get anywhere near the heating element, you should be fine. I figure, people bake with parchment paper all the time and it doesn’t catch fire, right?

10. ellen coletta says

I want to try the wet towel trick what did you use to attach to the pan? Thank you for this post.

11. says

Thank you SO MUCH for this!! I’m an avid baker, but have never attempted to make a wedding cake before. My sister’s wedding is in two weeks and I’m so happy I found your article. I probably made your recipe (and used your wet towel technique–brilliant!) five times over the yield the quantity of cake I needed. I now have your recipe memorized. Haha. Not only is the cake delicious, but it seems pretty resilient…like it’ll hold its own when I start stacking the tiers. Thank you for this post! I think you saved my life 😛

• Korena in the Kitchen says

YAY I’m so glad the cake recipe worked well for you! That is a LOT of cake! And yes, it should be super resilient when you stack it – it was formulated specifically for that sort of thing by Margaret Braun, who is a wedding cake magician. Good luck with all of it – I’d love to see a photo when you’re done!!

12. ines says

Thank you so much for this tutorial!! I think i am still confused about the actual measures used for the cake. For example, for two 10″ cakes, did you use 3 2/3 cups together (to make two cakes) or 3 2/3 cups was used to make one 10″ cake. Thank you so much in advance!!

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Hi Ines, these measures are per cake:

6-inch round: 1 1/4 cups per pan
      8-inch round: 2 1/4 cups per pan
      10-inch round: 3 2/3 cups per pan

I baked two of each cake. Does that help?

13. Edwina Hill says

Well , Hello Korena. I read all the comments and got all my questions answered Thank you very much. I am making my nephews wedding cake and needed a yummy but firm and moist cake. Your recipe sounds like just what I need. Thank you

• Korena in the Kitchen says

Awesome, I’m so glad the comments were helpful :) Good luck with your nephew’s wedding cake! I’d love to hear how it turns out :)

14. Ines says

Hi Korena,
    I have one more question! How many cups of batter would you use for one 12″ round cake? Thank you in advance!

15. says

I am trying to find ideas to make a 80th birthday cake for my ma. She just happens to love lemon! I pray I can pull something as awesome as that off!