Christmas Cookies 2013: The Round-Up

29 Dec

As promised, I’m back with cookies. Or more accurately, pictures of cookies, links to recipes, and more promises. I have recipe posts in the works for two of the following goodies, so stay tuned and bookmark this post as inspiration for next Christmas!

Christmas cookie sweatshop

This year’s Christmas baking marathon included the following:

White Chocolate Cranberry Almond Biscotti, which is at the top of my Christmas Baking list every year.

Coffee Coconut Shortbread, a riff on this shortbread with some coffee powder and toasted coconut stirred in, drizzled with melted chocolate and sprinkled with more coconut.

Chocolate Cardamom Orange Ribbon Cookies – fragrant and delicious.

Sugared Pretzel Cookies made with a little rye flour, from Smitten Kitchen. These are SO GOOD and remind me exactly of those Danish butter cookies in the blue tin. I highly recommend this recipe!

Also from Smitten Kitchen: Linzer Torte. This is a dense, nutty, jammy torte made with walnut pastry and raspberry jam. I love love love it.

Tiny Gevulde Speculaas tarts – almond paste within spiced cookie dough. These were a bit of a pain to make but I desperately wanted to use the little fluted tart pans that I’ve had for ages. Speculaas are definitely among my favorite Christmas cookies.

Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles. Need I say more?

Eggnog Macarons, which are probably my favorite macaron I’ve ever made. If you haven’t tried these yet, what are you waiting for?

What’s your favorite Christmas cookie? What are you already excited to bake for next year?

14 Responses to “Christmas Cookies 2013: The Round-Up”

1. Jess December 29, 2013 at 6:58 am #

My favorite would have to be thick, soft sugar cookies with icing. I definitely made those this year, and they were a HUGE hit. I made a lot of familiar Christmas treats this year, so next year I think I’d like to step outside my comfort zone a little bit.

All of your cookies look wonderful Korena-especially the sugared pretzels and biscotti- thanks for sharing with us :-)

• Korena in the Kitchen December 29, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Oooh, soft sugar cookies do sound wonderful. I think I’ve only ever had the crisp cut-out kind. The sugared pretzel cookies were sort of plain/simple but really really good.

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide December 29, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Fantastic. I pinned the whole lot!

3. wendyjv December 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Wow! I had no idea you’d done so many cookies and things! And the macarons were indeed to die for. Thank you! :) <3

• wendyjv December 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

I thought the 3 and the less than sign would make a heart!

4. Kathryn and Ross December 29, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Well our beautiful tin of biscuits went in a flash. The Speculaas were particularly toothsome, and not too sweet. We did wonder how you made them tho’. Chocolate Cardamon Orange Ribbons were really tasty too, as were the Sugar Pretzel Cookies, of which I got one. I was very downhearted to go back to try the Macaroons and the Salted Caramel Truffles and they WERE ALL GONE! Hate to say it Korena, but we might need a bigger tin next year. Better yet, a small tin with one of each for me, and I’ll stash it away from the starving hoards. Thank you so much for your meticulous presentation, and delicious flavours, we always look forward to your Christmas creations.

5. Todd M December 29, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I am definitely trying a few of these next year. The macarons sound so good and those little pretzels are adorable.

6. Karen December 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

Wow, wow, wow! Those chocolate orange striped cookies look amazing, along with everything else! Totally impressed.

7. Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com January 7, 2014 at 11:02 am #

Wow, they all look amazing and you are amazing! Linzer Torte is one of my favorite European treats. :)